This exhibition, of some 50 works, is a comprehensive survey of the work of the highly-regarded British sculptor Barry Flanagan. It comprises installation works and bronze sculptures from the 1960s to the present, some of which are being shown in the grounds of the Museum. Flanagan is best known for his dynamic, often monumental, bronze hares, which he began casting in 1979. His work is held in public collections worldwide and his bronze hares have been exhibited in many outdoor spaces, most notably on Park Avenue, New York, and at Grant Park, Chicago. This exhibition coincides with the display of 10 large bronze sculptures in O’Connell Street, Dublin, organised by Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane.
Barry Flanagan was born in North Wales in 1941. He studied at the Birmingham College of Art and Crafts and St Martin's School of Art, London. He has exhibited in numerous solo and group exhibitions, both in Britain and internationally and in 1982 he represented Britain at the Venice Biennale. A major retrospective of his work was held at the Fundación “la Caixa”, Madrid, in 1993, touring to the Musée des Beaux-Arts, Nantes, in 1994. Flanagan lives and works in Dublin.
The exhibition is curated by Enrique Juncosa, Director, IMMA, and is organised in association with Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane.
A full-colour, illustrated catalogue accompanies the exhibition, with essays by critic and art historian Bruce Arnold and writer and curator Mel Gooding, an interview between the curator Hans Ulrich Obrist and Barry Flanagan, and a foreword by Barbara Dawson, Director, Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane and Enrique Juncosa. To buy the catalogue click here
The exhibition is presented in association with THE IRISH TIMES.